http://donpolson.blogspot.com/ Bringing you the very best information, analysis and opinion from around the web. NOTE: For videos that don't start--go to article link to view. FAVORITE SITES FOR INFO: https://pjmedia.com , www.powerlineblog.com , https://rumble.com/c/Bongino , instapundit.com https://justthenews.com , https://Bonginoreport.com
Friday, April 21, 2023
New Poll Shows Americans’ Views on the Availability of the Abortion Pill
Townhall covered this month how Trump-appointed federal Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk suspended the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) approval of mifepristone, also known as the “abortion pill.” Taken with misoprostol, mifepristone works as a medication abortion, which accounts for the majority of U.S. abortions, according to the Guttmacher Institute.
This ruling comes in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision, which struck down Roe v. Wade and sent the issue of abortion back to the states.
After Dobbs, It was anticipated that medication abortion pills would become the next battleground in the abortion issue. In Washington, Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee stockpiled abortion pills, which Townhall covered. The controversial option of mail-order abortion pills also became prevalent, where a woman could obtain the drugs without ever seeing a physician in-person. This dangerous method of abortion is pushed by the Biden administration, even for minors.
A poll published Sunday by CBS News claims that 67 percent of Americans want to see the abortion pill mifepristone remain available. On the other hand, 33 percent said the pill should not be available.
Among those who want to see abortion illegal in most cases, about four in ten said mifepristone should remain legal.
Broken down by political party, 84 percent of Democrats, 72 percent of Independents and 46 percent of Republicans said that mifepristone should remain available. On the contrary, 16 percent of Democrats, 28 percent of Independents, and 54 percent of Republicans said mifepristone should be illegal, according to the poll
A majority of respondents, 69 percent, who want abortion “mostly legal” said they think the FDA should “ignore” the judge’s ruling. Eighty percent of those who want abortion “mostly illegal” said the FDA should abide by the ruling.
However, recent polling conducted by CRC Research for Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America found most Americans express concerns about the abortion pill and the process which is was approved by the FDA.
In the poll, which Townhall reported, 51 percent of Americans disagree that the abortion pill was vetted carefully enough to protect women’s health and safety. When respondents were informed that the FDA tracks no side effects of the abortion pill other than death, 62 percent felt not very confident (26 percent) or not at all confident (35 percent) that the pill is “safe.” And, 61 percent disagree that it is safe to distribute the pill in the mail with little to no supervision. And, 56 percent of respondents said they consider the FDA to be “untrustworthy” (31 percent who claim it is “very untrustworthy”) when they learn that the agency fast-tracked the abortion pill regimen using it’s accelerated drug approval authority by calling pregnancy a “life threatening illness.”
“The majority of Americans understand that the abortion pill is dangerous and they see through the abortion lobby’s lies,” SBA President Majorie Dannenfelser said of the results. “Common sense tells us that sending these drugs through the mail unsupervised puts women at risk, and that adolescent girls are at an especially vulnerable stage in their development. Under every Democratic administration, the FDA has undermined its own credibility by putting politics before patients,” adding that the abortion lobby “has relied on abortion pills as a backstop as more than a dozen states have enacted strong protections for unborn babies and mothers.”