Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Intimidation as a tactic, method of left


               THE WAY I SEE IT   by Don Polson      Red Bluff Daily News   6/12/2012

        Intimidation as a tactic, method of left


Last week, we witnessed the culmination of a year and a half long parade of intimidation directed at Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, elected Republicans, even judges, by union, student and activist masses in Madison. Voters repudiated the mobs and their threats, violence and property destruction. Numerous leftists harass and intimidate conservatives by faking a call from their house reporting violence, prompting a SWAT-team response, aka “SWATing.” The Democrats have, since President Obama took office, sought to intimidate critics with phony accusations of “racism.”

And so we come to consider the tactics, methods and words of Mr. Mazzucchi, which I have described as bullying in nature, a characterization to which I now must add intimidating. That’s my opinion; but set aside my opinion and decide for yourself based on the words of commenters and the columnist (RM) himself in the public and digital record.

On May 31, a commenter wrote, addressing another commenter, “Thank you for referencing the threats of libel that our esteemed liberal opinion writer uses to intimidate and silence opposition of those that have a differing viewpoint than his own. Bullying tactics that are used against those with a different opinion should not be tolerated. I doubt very seriously that he will see the underhanded tactics that he uses as a means to avoid accepting responsibility for his unseemly behavior and rather vicious attacks on folks with a differing point of view. Having also been a target of his threat of libel myself, I can personally state it is very effective. Had it not been for Mr. Polson advising me that Mr. Mazzucchi didn’t have a legal leg to stand on I would have retired from making any further comments on the RBDL (sic) forum.” (DP: “threats…intimidate…silence…Bullying” in her own words, readers)

Mr. Mazzucchi, on March 25: “Any post that libels me by claiming I am a liar does not dignify a response other than a categorical statement to the contrary … I would suggest you cease posting libelous comments or you may be faced with criminal prosecution.” Then, on March 28: (directed at another commenter) “”Blah, blah, blah—I have had it up to here with your predictable condemnations of my positions. I am being neither duplicitous nor disingenuous and your assertions to the contrary rise to the level of libel. Please cease and desist such behavior immediately.” (DP: Or what?)

The commenter’s take on RM’s statements: “Mr. Mazzucchi just days ago threatened me with ‘criminal prosecution’ for engaging him on these forums and now hints at another…” RM had previously written, “I have a thick skin but will not sit by idly as my character is assassinated or my intentions misconstrued.” (DP: Sure seems to imply his intention to take action of some sort)

Mr. Mazzucchi stated categorically, on May 23, “For the record I have never ‘threatened’ anyone, I have only admonished them for making statements that are libelous.” Does that pass the reason test, readers? He referred to a commenter as “Polson’s apparent shill” and probably thought that he settled the entire matter with a quote from anonymous left wing writers: “I don’t have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem!” He has suggested I pay no attention to what he writes – a remarkable statement from a writer and commenter in the public sphere. He does seem to feel he is perpetuating this controversy when he wrote, “At the risk of adding more fodder to Mr. Polson’s apparent obsession …”

Mr. Mazzucchi, I am obsessed with the fact that you are unwilling to let go of your obsession with intimidating those that fit your subjective definitions with threats of legal action. I am appalled at your disrespect for your critics’ First Amendment Freedom of Speech. I challenge your baseless and toothless threats in the only manner at my disposal – on this page – so that readers may consider exactly whose attitudes and perceptions are in question, or even delusional.

I further state for the record that should any reader or commenter find themselves actually being legally pursued over criticism of Mr. Mazzucchi’s opinion column or comments, either on this page or in the online section, I will publicly and financially support not only their defense, but also their right to a cross complaint against him. This is not a threat, but a promise that arises from my determination to stand up for critics everywhere, expressing their free speech rights; the First Amendment was designed not to protect bland, innocuous or inoffensive speech, but speech that others may find controversial, questionable or, in this case, subject to fallacious charges of libel or slander. If someone makes up things about Mazzucchi’s business or personal life that cross the line, I will defend him against such lies but I don’t hesitate to call intimidation and threats the way I see them.

This controversy goes away, Mr. Mazzucchi, the minute you admit to the wrongheaded nature of your ill-advised and shamefully pursued campaign against your critics. I have had to apologize for many things in my life; this is the time for a sincere “mea culpa” on your part. It would be good for your soul, believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment