Sunday, December 29, 2019

If I were one of those House Democrats in a Trump-friendly district who had been talked into voting against my better judgment for Trump’s impeachment…

To Pelosi and the leftist wing of the party: You made me put my seat at grave risk for this? And then you shelve the whole thing for an indeterminate time and a foggy reason?
I’m not at all sure how many members of Congress match my description. Originally there were said to be 31 such Democrats in the House who come from districts that voted for Trump and yet elected a Democrat – usually one who promised to be moderate and relatively independent – in 2018. One of them, Jeff Van Drew, voted against impeachment and has become a Republican since the brouhaha. Another, Collin Peterson, voted against impeachment as well.
The 29 others voted for impeachment. Of course, some of them may have felt that impeachment was justified and needed no pressure to vote that way. But I would bet (without knowing) that most of the 29 felt they were signing their own political death warrants, and did so reluctantly.
Or maybe not so reluctantly. Maybe they are already sick of Washington. Maybe they were promised good jobs from other Democrats if they get turned out of the House in 2020 as a result of their vote. But I bet a lot of them are spitting mad right now and feeling as though they walked into a trap.
Of course, I don’t know what Pelosi has planned at this point, if anything. She’s a politician who often has something up her sleeve. But I can’t imagine exactly what it could be at the moment. More Steele dossiers? More “whistleblowing” moles with reports of horrible things the president supposedly said?
Or is she at a loss herself about what to do next?
I know a lot of people will say that what the Democrats actually have planned is a lot of cheating in the 2020 elections. I assume, however, that’s rather difficult to accomplish in Trump-friendly districts. It would be much easier to do successfully in large blue cities, but the districts we’re talking about don’t tend to conform to that description.

No comments:

Post a Comment