I was in D.C. speaking at the DOJ Summit on Combatting Anti-Semitism when the latest outrage news cycle took place … in D.C.
But I hardly knew it, I had other things on my mind.
Like getting a selfie in front of the White House.
I’ve only been in D.C. about a half dozen times in my life, and I have to say, standing with the White House behind me and the Washington Monument in the distance in front of me, still was moving.
As was walking and seeing the dome of the U.S. Capitol in the distance.
Photo by WAJ
I’ll always be a tourist in D.C., someone just passing through, in awe of the majesty of the monuments and national landmarks.
So I mostly ignored the outrage cycle over Trump’s tweets about “The Squad” – Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressly.
It all followed a familiar pattern: Trump says something outrageous, he’s accused of being racist (or a Russian spy), some Republicans declare he made a politically fatal error, he punches back some more, and a few days later the media is lamenting that Trump won the fight and is looking like a tactical genius. I don’t think it’s genius, more a gut sense.
The Squad hold loathsome views — AOC compares our struggle to deal with the humanitarian crisis at the border to the Nazis rounding up Jews into concentration camps, while voting against funding to take care of the very same people; Omar is a dyed-in-the-wool anti-Semite who plays victim when called out, but succeeds in normalizing her hate; Tlaib lied about her support for BDS to gain money from liberal J Street, and cries racism when people criticize her anti-Israel agenda; Pressley made an incredibly racist statement in response to Trump that she has no need for brown and black people who don’t hold brown and black views.
The Squad also uniformly are extreme leftists even by Democrat standards.
Senator John Kennedy summed what a lot of people are thinking about how Democrats have been boxed in:
So who won?
The emerging wisdom is that Trump is winning.
So let’s have a reader poll.
Who is winning the Trump v. The Squad feud?